GA Studio designed and orchestrated the two major additions to the national headquarters campus for the Protective Life Corporation. Throughout both expansions, the design team worked to create campus cohesion, preserve the secluded nature of the site’s forested terrain, and maximize connections between the building’s inhabitants and their surrounding landscape. Major site strategies served to enhance employees’ quality of life and to address issues of sustainability. Drilled pier foundations allowed preservation of hundreds of trees immediately bordering new structures. As a result, the 600,000sf campus and parking structures for over 2,500 cars is barely visible from the adjacent major highway, and the vast majority of storm water is reabsorbed within the 28 acre site.
The first phase consisted of a 4 story, 210,000sf structure with a 1000 car parking deck. The second expansion phase doubled the existing capacity with a 315,000sf 7-story office building, and more than doubled existing parking. The building is clad in granite, stainless steel and reflective glass to mirror the surrounding wooded landscape.
Honor Award/AIA Winner, Places and Spaces Competition/Birmingham Historical Society Horizon Award/Horizon 280 Association